Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Claims

///Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Claims
Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Claims 2017-11-06T11:40:08+00:00

147839484Though motorists in Wisconsin are required to have liability insurance, more than 1 in 10 have none or have too little to cover the damage they actually cause, according to some estimates.

People who are injured in car accidents caused by uninsured or underinsured motorists or by hit-and-run drivers must rely on uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance claims to recover compensation for their medical expenses. However, many people misunderstand UM and UIM coverage. Also, insurance companies too often refuse to pay claims.

The lawyers of Techmeier Law Firm can help if you have been injured in a car accident in Milwaukee or surrounding areas and have a claim that should be covered by your UM / UIM policy. You can call or contact us online today to set up a free initial consultation about your case.

How Does UM / UIM Coverage Work?

When a driver causes a car accident, that driver’s liability insurance should pay for your medical expenses and other losses. In Wisconsin, you are required by law to carry certain minimum amounts of this type of insurance:

  • $10,000 for property damage
  • $25,000 for the injury or death of one person
  • $50,000 for the injury or death of more than one person.

If the driver has no insurance or has insurance that doesn’t fully cover your losses, you can turn to your own UM / UIM coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) applies to accidents caused by drivers who do not have insurance or hit-and-run accidents where the at-fault driver cannot be identified.

Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) makes up the difference between what the at-fault driver’s liability coverage will pay for your injuries and your total bodily injury damages – up to the maximum of your policy limit.

For example: You are in an accident and suffered $50,000 in bodily injury damages (such as medical expenses). The at-fault driver has liability insurance of $25,000, and you have UIM coverage of $25,000. The at-fault driver’s insurance would cover the first $25,000 of your losses, and your UIM coverage would cover the rest.

Wisconsin requires UM coverage for bodily injury, with minimum coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. The amount payable under UM is your coverage limit multiplied by up to three vehicles insured for UM on your policy.

The state no longer requires you to purchase UIM coverage. However, it is highly suggested that you do purchase it – and in amounts higher than the minimum.

Pursuing a Proper UM / UIM Insurance Settlement

When you get into a car accident, the amount of bodily injury damages you suffer can easily eclipse the $10,000 or $25,000 minimum liability insurance limits. This is why people often turn to their UIM coverage to pay their medical costs and other expenses after a crash.

When you file a claim with your insurance company, you must establish that you are entitled to the funds. For instance, you must show that you were, in fact, in an accident with a hit-and-run driver and simply didn’t run off the road due to your own negligence.

The insurance company must deal with you fairly and fulfill its duty to you. Any unreasonable attempts to deny or delay paying your UM / UIM claim can lead to taking legal action  such as a breach of contract claim or a bad faith insurance practices claim.

Our Milwaukee Lawyers Help with Uninsured / Underinsured (UM / UIM) Claims

The attorneys of Techmeier Law Firm can help you after a car accident to seek the funds you are entitled to receive through your UM / UIM policy.

Once we have thoroughly investigated your accident and injuries and determined your medical expenses, we can seek an appropriate settlement for you. If an insurer refuses to provide a proper settlement offer, we will be ready to go to court and fight on your behalf.

Call us today or submit our online contact form. We can schedule a free and confidential consultation to discuss your case.

For More Information

Frequently Asked Questions – Auto, Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
Uninsured Motorists, Insurance Research Council