Defective or Dangerous Prescription Drugs
Every year, the $60 billion pharmaceutical industry releases new prescription drugs into the U.S. marketplace. Most of these medications are safe when properly prescribed and used as directed. However, every year, more than 200,000 Americans die and many more are seriously harmed due to flawed drugs and manufacturers’ failure to give proper warnings about drug risks.
Techmeier Law Firm stands up for the rights of those who have suffered physical, mental and financial harm due to dangerous prescription drugs. Our firm offers clients in Milwaukee and across Wisconsin the services of civil trial advocates who have experience with complex litigation against large corporations such as drug companies.
If you or a loved one has been harmed by a dangerous drug, we will protect your rights and aggressively seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to receive a free consultation about your case.
How Faulty Drugs Get to the Market
A study published in 2013 concluded that the pharmaceutical industry has far too much influence on medical research and policy. According to the study, drug companies have been allowed to intervene in all stages of the process that goes into the approval and marketing of drugs to professionals and consumers. As a result, the benefits of drugs often are exaggerated, while their potential harms are downplayed.
Due to industry influence, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) officials often approve new drugs and, in many cases, the harmful side effects of these medications come to light only after consumers have suffered injuries or died.
In some cases, early reports of “adverse events” caused by a new drug prompt independent studies that document the drug’s risks. The FDA may, in turn, issue a warning, ask the manufacturer to issue a recall or call for more study. This is usually the first time that most doctors and consumers learn of the risks posed by a drug they have been prescribed and used. The FDA’s action, in this sense, does little good for those who have already been irreparably harmed or died.
Taking Legal Action for Injuries Caused by Dangerous Drugs
The law requires manufacturers of drugs and other products to ensure that their products are safe when used as directed or to adequately warn about the risks posed by their use.
Consumers harmed by a manufacturer’s failure to live up to its legal duty may seek compensation. Consumers must show that the manufacturer knew or should have known the drug was unduly harmful and failed to adequately warn consumers of the risks posed by using it.
Typically, where many other consumers have suffered similar harm from the same product, their claims may be combined in a single, class-action lawsuit or consolidated in multidistrict litigation (MDL). An experienced drug injury lawyer can make sure your rights are fully protected if your case becomes part of wider, national litigation against a drug company.
After a recall or in the face of multiple lawsuits, a manufacturer may establish a settlement fund to resolve pending claims. Before you choose to participate in such a fund, you should have your case carefully reviewed by an attorney.
Dangerous Rx Drug Cases Our Firm Currently Is Focusing On
Techmeier Law Firm has the skill, experience and resources that are needed to take on dangerous drug cases. Cases that our lawyers are currently reviewing include:
- Risperdal – An antipsychotic drug manufactured by Johnson & Johnson that is prescribed to treat schizophrenia, manic episodes associated with bipolar disorder and irritability associated with autism. The drug’s main ingredient, risperidone, has been shown to cause gynecomastia, which is the enlargement of breasts in male patients.
- Xarelto – An anticoagulant marketed by Bayer HealthCare’s Janssen Pharmaceuticals unit. It is prescribed to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation, or irregular heartbeat, which is not caused by a heart valve problem. Xarelto works by blocking specific proteins in the blood that normally start the clotting process. But there is no antidote for rivaroxaban, which is Xarelto’s active ingredient. A Xarelto user who suffers an injury or hemorrhaging due to illness faces a dire situation and may bleed to death. The FDA has issued warnings and precautions about Xarelto but has not sought a recall of this drug.
- Invokana – Another Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., product that is among a class of drugs known as SGLT2 inhibitors. These drugs are used to treat Type 2 diabetes. They lower blood sugar by causing the kidneys to remove sugar from the body through the urine. But they also allow buildup of acids in the blood, causing a condition known as ketoacidosis. This condition requires hospitalization to treat and can be deadly if not promptly addressed. The FDA issued a warning about SGLT2 inhibitors in May 2015.
- Darvon/Darvocet – Popular prescription painkiller medications that use the active ingredient propoxyphene, Darvocet also contains acetaminophen. The FDA has stated that Darvon & Darvocet are associated with many serious risks: heart conditions, addiction, and suicidal tendencies.
If you or a loved one has been has been injured by any one of these drugs or by any other prescribed or over-the-counter medication, you may be able to pursue compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and more.
Contact a Wisconsin Dangerous Drug Lawyer Today
In Wisconsin, a defective drug lawsuit typically must be filed within three years from the date the drug-related injury was discovered or reasonably should have been discovered. In other states where your claim may be filed, a much shorter time might apply. Because a drug injury claim takes time to thoroughly investigate, you should not delay contacting an attorney for assistance.
Techmeier Law Firm in Milwaukee can help you to fight for the compensation you deserve. Our dangerous drug lawyers have the experience and resources to fully investigate your case and hold responsible parties accountable for the damages you have suffered.
We can provide a free consultation about your dangerous prescription drug claim. Please call or contact us online today to get started.
Sources / More Information
- Adverse Drug Events: The Magnitude of Health Risk is Uncertain Because of Limited Incidence Data, U.S. General Accounting Office
- Undue Industry Influences that Distort Healthcare Research, Strategy, Expenditure and Practice: A Review, European Journal of Clinical Investigation